Black Saturday Veggie Madness

While all the other "normal" people with "normal" work schedules (with office hours 8 to 5, Mondays to Fridays) were enjoying the extremely long weekend holiday -- it's Holy Week, the "losers", like me, were at work. Hospitals don't have holidays but we do get to enjoy additional incentives during these occasions. :) Another good thing about working on a holiday is that it's less busy as well. It was in 2C anyway.

As it was Holy Week, there was a scarcity of food shops opening to feed the hungry hospital employees like me. Choices were also limited as Catholics are bound to eat only veggies as a symbol of sacrifice and repentance, blablablablahhh.. -- as if having to work in this particular time of the year isn't sacrifice enough! Anyhow it was lunch time and my stomach was begging to be fed so I had to eat something or risk having stomach ulcers and other problems.

With a fellow nurse, we went to a local fast food nearby, Orange Brutus. There was Jollibee but she already ate there the other day and didn't like the Bangus meal coz it had a fishy aftertaste. So there we were lining up at the cashier giving our orders. It turned out that they only served tuna sandwich and veggie roll, for the day. I chose the latter. 

The food was served in about five minutes. Along with the veggie roll came the sweet and sour sauce that looked AND tasted more like water with red food coloring and bits and pieces of chili seeds. I should have told the waitress, or anyone responsible for the consistency of the sauce, to go easy with mixing water to it but I was too hungry to care. 

I wolfed down my food and it just so happened I ran out of sauce. So, I got up and asked the woman behind the cash register if I could have some more and to my utter disbelief, she said I had to pay for it. What?? Pay for a sauce refill?? That's unheard of! What food chain would charge their customers extra for sauce?? Apparently Orange Brutus does. They charge extra for a refill of their watery, tasteless red thing with chili seeds. Can it even be called a "sauce"?? I don't think so.

Since it was Black Saturday, I didn't give much thought of the incident. I did keep it in my mind though. It's a nice idea for a blog too. Too bad, I wasn't able to bring my phone with me. I could've taken a picture of what I was talking about.

Anyway, the shift ended and I went home. So much for having clean thoughts and words on a Holy Day.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what do you mean an extra charge for a sauce is unheard of?! HELLO?! You're in the Philippines, it's a practice there! you can't even ask mayonnaise there for your fries without getting charged.. or if you want gravy and you didn't order chicken, you have to pay for it...

You know how Filipinos can be so abusive and ask for extra when they know it's free.. so the only solution is to charge people...

Unknown said...

hey, KFC, Mcdo, Jollibee and other big fastfood chains do not charge for extra gravy, ketchup, maple syrup, sugar and creamer.

I said if you want extra gravy/sauce. If you didn't buy chicken and wanted some gravy, of course you have to pay for it.

Yeah, it was kind of abusive and to think it was Holy Week. That special week in a year when you're supposed to repent and be extra kind to others.

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger
Lifestyle Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory blogarama - the blog directory Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory Blog Directory

Feeds